Etymologie, Etimología, Étymologie, Etimologia, Etymology
UK Vereinigtes Königreich Großbritannien und Nordirland, Reino Unido de Gran Bretaña e Irlanda del Norte, Royaume-Uni de Grande-Bretagne et d'Irlande du Nord, Regno Unito di Gran Bretagna e Irlanda del Nord, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Wissen / Wissenschaft, Conocimientos / Ciencia, Savoir / Science, Conoscenza / Scienza, Knowledge / Science
English - Research Papers
All Research Papers Articles
- How to Write a Research Paper on Red and Black Ants
- Research papers are commonly written among school-aged children and college level students. However, many do not know how to properly write one. There are many different types of ants that can be red, black, or both red and black. Doing research on these ants can provide important information on how they live, who their enemies are, and what they eat. The process of writing a research paper can be time-consuming, but following the following steps can produce an amazing paper....(more)
- Mark Twain and the Mississippi River
- Mark Twain and the Mississippi River are intertwined through his works and writings. His writings made the area famous. His books inspired millions of writers, young people, and everyday citizens. The novel "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" has also been called the Great American Novel. As a person, Mark Twain had many friends and was a good person. Impressed with the job of steam boat pilot, he was encouraged to learn the trade himself. It was the love of this job that inspired him to write "Life on the Mississippi". His love and passion for the river never ceased, as is shown throughout his writings and lectures....(more)
- Mantel or Mantle?
- Picking the wrong word can entirely change the tone and meaning of a research paper or, frankly, any form of writing. Misspellings are problematic, but using a word incorrectly or using the improper spelling of a similarly sounding word can be just as troublesome. One very common mistake can be found where one is trying to decide between the words "mantel" or "mantle," depending on the subject matter of the context. The two words sound just the same, yet are spelled differently. These different spellings mean that each word has its own unique definition. Choosing the right one will determine whether or not a paper is about a journey to the center of the Earth or related to a fireplace....(more)
- Writing Academic Papers: Research Literature Review
- When it comes to academic writing, there are many different types of essays. If you are preparing to write a research paper or a thesis, then you definitely need the literature review. It is a special kind of written work, which serves the purpose of a resume for the research paper. The literature review has several important elements and there are also some rules when it comes to writing it. Keep reading to learn more about this specific piece of writing....(more)
- Breaking it Down: Example of a Process Analysis
- Process analysis involves the study and documentation of a task. It has relevance to a number of fields, particularly business, where it is especially useful when handling change. New employees are often directed to a process analysis document to get a heads-up. Even more important, a process analysis can highlight weak links that could benefit from the incorporation of new technology. Here are some examples of well-written process analyses....(more)
- The English Language Glottal Stop
- In some English words certain letters have many characteristics and pronunciations, based on their use. For example, the letter t in the word knit sounds different from the the double t in bitter, which in-turn, sounds different than the double t in mitten - which seems to lose its t sound almost entirely. That loss of definition, in linguistic terms, is known as the glottal stop. It's a phonetic affectation that can help discern a person's place of origin and even age. The following list can help you understand the speaker and can offer perspective if you're working on a research paper....(more)
- The Major Components of an Inverted Pyramid Press Release
- A press release or news release is a short document which organizations provide to mediums such as newspapers, radio stations, and television stations so that the media is able to inform the public about a specific piece of news. The point of these short releases are to catch a journalist's attention so that your news is chosen for presentation over the news of another company (most media outlets receive many press releases within a day). Therefore, a press release must be no longer than a page and contain short paragraphs, including only several sentences each. It must also be written in an inverted pyramid style, which means it will begin with the most important news and continue on to the least important news. Continue reading below to find out about the five major components of an inverted pyramid press release....(more)
- Academic Terms: Research Paper Definition
- If you are just starting your higher education, you will usually need an introductory course to get to know all the terms and procedures at a university. It is always useful to be familiar with the requirements of the professors and it makes your work easier. Research papers can be quite difficult to write depending on the topic, so it is better if you have a good idea of what you need to include and how to express yourself. Read the paragraphs below and learn more about the definition of research paper and some main writing rules....(more)
- Father of Invention: Ben Franklin Essays
- Benjamin Franklin, a founding father of the United States, lived in the 18th century. He was a polymath, or a person with knowledge in a number of fields. His wide-ranging career bears that out. Besides being a leading author and inventor, he was a postmaster, politician, diplomat, scientist, musician, and writer. Here are some of Ben Franklin's best essays....(more)
- James Harvey Robinson Biography
- James Harvey Robinson was a well-known American historian. He was a professor at two universities before becoming a co-founder of a new school. He also was the author of several important and widely used college textbooks, as well as two popular polemical books. During his lifetime, he became influential in social issues and became president of the American Historical Association....(more)
- Getting the Concept: Concept Essay Topics
- Understanding an object or a point in history is generally easy. Parts can be described, or prominent figures and their lifestyles, until the reader is fully immersed in the topic. When working with concepts however, things become a little more complicated. Unlike an idea, which is more singular, a concept is a system. With some, like gravity, they can be shown to readers through ordinary objects. With other concepts like acceleration and heat, there is often very little medium for thought to travel through from writer to audience. How exactly do writers deal with conceptually focused essays? Here are a few commonly asked questions about the subject, as well as a few answers....(more)
- How to Write a Research Paper on New Baseball Gloves
- Many people both old and young are required to write research papers either for work or school. A research paper consists of the steps involved in writing an essay with additional steps. You will need to use sources to support the information, and these sources are added as footnotes. It can be very confusing if you do not know how to write the paper. Here is a list of steps to follow when you need to write a paper on new baseball gloves....(more)
Selected Internet resources covering all academic subject areas
BUBL uses the "Dewey Decimal Classification system" as the primary organisation structure for its catalogue of Internet resources.
The Dewey Decimal Classification is (c) 1996-2007 OCLC Online Computer Library Center. Used with Permission.
Main subject menus:
Accounting | Acquisitions (Acqlink) | Aerospace engineering | Agriculture, Forestry, Fisheries | Anatomy | Anthropology | Archaeology | Architecture | Art, The Arts | Astronautics | Astronomy, space | Aviation, Air Transport | Banking | Biochemistry | Biology | Biomedicine | Biotechnology | Botany | Broadcasting, Radio, Television | Building | Business | Cardiology | Cartography, mapping | Chemical engineering | Chemistry | Civil engineering | Climatology and weather | Computing | Copyright | Criminology | Crystallography | Dance | Dentistry | Digital libraries | Disability | Earth sciences | Ecology | Economics | Education | Electronics | Energy | Engineering | English language | English literature | European Union | Evolution | Film studies | Finance | Folklore | Food and drink | Forestry | French | Gaelic | Genealogy | Genetics | Geography | Geology | German | Global change | Government | Greek | Higher education | History | Human rights | Humanities | Information management | Information science | Internet | Italian | Japanese | Journalism | Language | Latin | Law | Library catalogues | Linguistics | Management | Manufacturing | Maps | Marine biology | Marketing | Materials science | Mathematics | Mechanical engineering | Medicine | Mental health | Meteorology | Microbiology | Military science | Mineralogy | Museums | Music | Natural history | Neuroscience | News and newspapers | Nursing | Nutrition | Oceanography | Opera | Palaeontology | Patents | Pathology | Personnel management | Pharmacology | Pharmacy | Philosophy | Photography | Physics | Physiology | Politics | Population | Psychiatry | Psychology | Public health | Publishing | Radiology | Reference | Religion | Research | Russian | Science | Social sciences | Social welfare, social work | Sociology | Spanish | Sport | Standards | Statistics | Technology | Textiles | Transport | Veterinary science | Welsh | Women | Writing |
United Kingdom | Afghanistan | Albania | Algeria | Andorra | Angola | Antigua and Barbuda | Argentina | Armenia | Australia | Austria | Azerbaijan | Bahamas | Bahrain | Bangladesh | Barbados | Belarus | Belgium | Belize | Benin | Bermuda | Bhutan | Bolivia | Bosnia | Botswana | Brazil | Brunei | Bulgaria | Burkina Faso | Burma | Burundi | Cambodia | Cameroon | Canada | Cape Verde | Central African Republic | Chad | Chile | China | Colombia | Comoros | Congo Democratic Republic | Costa Rica | Cote d'Ivoire | Croatia | Cuba | Cyprus | Czech Republic | Denmark | Dominica | Dominican Republic | Ecuador | Egypt | El Salvador | Equatorial Guinea | Eritrea | Estonia | Ethiopia | Fiji | Finland | France | Gabon | Gambia | Georgia | Germany | Ghana | Greece | Grenada | Guatemala | Guinea Bissau | Guyana | Haiti | Honduras | Hungary | Iceland | India | Indonesia | Iran | Iraq | Ireland | Israel | Italy | Jamaica | Japan | Jordan | Kazakhstan | Kenya | Kiribati | Kuwait | Kyrgyzstan | Laos | Latvia | Lebanon | Lesotho | Liberia | Libya | Liechtenstein | Lithuania | Luxembourg | Macedonia | Madagascar | Malawi | Malaysia | Maldives | Mali | Malta | Marshall Islands | Mauritania | Mauritius | Mexico | Micronesia | Moldova | Monaco | Mongolia | Morocco | Mozambique | Myanmar | Namibia | Nauru | Nepal | Netherlands | New Zealand | Nicaragua | Niger | Nigeria | North Korea | Norway | Oman | Pakistan | Palau | Panama | Papua New Guinea | Paraguay | Peru | Philippines | Poland | Portugal | Qatar | Republic of Guinea | Republic of the Congo | Romania | Russia | Rwanda | Saint Kitts Nevis | Saint Lucia | Saint Vincent | Samoa | San Marino | Sao Tome and Principe | Saudi Arabia | Senegal | Serbia and Montenegro | Seychelles | Sierra Leone | Singapore | Slovakia | Slovenia | Solomon Islands | Somalia | South Africa | South Korea | Spain | Sri Lanka | Sudan | Suriname | Swaziland | Sweden | Switzerland | Syria | Taiwan | Tajikistan | Tanzania | Thailand | Togo | Tonga | Trinidad and Tobago | Tunisia | Turkey | Turkmenistan | Tuvalu | Uganda | Ukraine | United Arab Emirates | United Kingdom | United States of America | Uruguay | Uzbekistan | Vanuatu | Vatican City | Venezuela | Vietnam | Western Sahara | Yemen | Zaire | Zambia | Zimbabwe
Internet resources by type
Bibliographies | Biographies | Book and text collections | Bookshops | Dictionaries | Directories | Discographies | Ebooks: fiction | Ebooks: non-fiction | Essays | Governments | Image collections | Journal collections and listings | Library catalogues | Magazine listings | Mailing lists | Map collections | Moving images | Museums | Poems | Proceedings | Satellite images | Software archives | Sound collections | Thesauri | UK higher education colleges | UK universities
academic libraries in england | academic libraries in ireland | academic libraries in london | academic libraries in scotland | academic libraries in wales | academic libraries worldwide | academic library research | accountancy | accountancy companies | accountants | accounting education | accounting links | accounting news | accounting research | acoustics | acquisition request forms | acquisitions | addiction | aeronautics | aerospace | afghanistan | african americans | african languages | african studies | african travel and tourism | ageing | agricultural policy | agricultural research | agricultural technology | agriculture | agriculture education | agriculture links | aids and hiv links | aids education | aids news | aids research | aids treatment | air quality | aircraft | alaska | albania | alcohol | algae | algebra | algeria |
| allergies | alternative medicine | alternative religions | american archaeology | american indians | american literature - general | american literature from 1900 | american literature to 1900 | american poetry | amiga | amphibians | anaesthesia | ancient history | ancient philosophy | andorra | anglo-saxon archaeology | anglo-saxon manufacturing | anglo-saxon settlements and burials | anglo-saxon textiles | anglo-saxon weapons and armour | angola | animal genetics | animal husbandry | animal rights | anorexia | antarctic | anthropology | antigua and barbuda | anxiety disorders | applied mathematics | applied psychology | aquaculture | arabic | arabs | archaeology | archaeology education | archaeology links | archaeology research | archaeometallurgy | architects | architectural research | architecture | architecture education | architecture links | archives | arctic | argentina | armed forces | armenia | art education | art exhibitions | art links | art museums | art research | art schools | arthritis | artificial intelligence | artists | arts publishers | asian business | asian news | asian studies | asian travel and tourism | asteroids | asthma | astrology | astronautics | astronomy education | astronomy links | astronomy news | astronomy research | astronomy societies | astrophysics | athletics | atmospheric science | audio systems | auditing | australia | australian business | australian culture | australian geography | australian government | australian libraries | australian natural resources | austria | austrian composers | authentication | autism | avalanches | aviation | azerbaijan
bacteria | baha'i faith | bahamas | bahrain | ballet | bangladesh | banking | baptism | barbados |
| baseball | bats | beetles | belarus | belgium | belize | benin | bereavement | bermuda | bhutan | bible | biblical studies | bibliographic control | biochemical safety | biochemistry | biodiversity | biological data | biology | biology education | biology journal | biology links | biology news | biology research | biomedicine | biotechnology | birds | birth | black holes | blindness | blood | blues music | board games | bolivia | bones | book reviews | book studies | booksellers | bosnia | botanical gardens | botany | botswana | brain | brass instruments | brazil | breast cancer | british agriculture | british archaeology | british archaeology - general | british archaeology - local | british archaeology links | british archaeology research | british booksellers | british business | british composers | british economic data | british government | british history - general | british history - local | british history 1100-1800 | british history from 1800 | british history to 1100 | british museums | british natural resources | british news | british political history | british politics | british publishers | british travel and tourism | british weather | bronchitis | brunei | bse | buddhism | bulgaria | bulimia | burkina faso | burma | burundi | business directories | business education | business ethics | business links | business news | business research | butterflies
calculus | cambodia | cameroon | canada | canadian education | canadian geography | canadian government | canadian history | canadian libraries | canadian literature | canadian museums | canadian news | canadian travel and tourism | cancer research | cancer treatment | cape verde | cardiology | careers | caribbean | cartography | cats | cell biology | celtic archaeology | censorship | central african republic | central america | cerebral palsy | cgi scripts | chad | channel islands | charity directories | chemical data | chemical engineering | chemistry education | chemistry links | chemistry news | chemistry research | chemistry societies | chemistry software | chess | child abuse | child development | child psychiatry | child welfare | childhood cancer | children's books | children's literature | chile | china | chinese culture | chinese history | chinese language | christian church | christian history | christian sermons | christian texts | christianity | chronic fatigue syndrome | chronology | church music | citation | civil engineering | civil liberties | cjd | classical music | classical music composers | classical music links | classification | climatology | clinical medicine | clinical psychology | cloning | clothing | coffee | cognitive psychology | collection development | colombia | columbia | combinatorics | comets | communication studies | communications engineering | community and youth studies | comoros | complex systems | composers | computational mathematics | computer aided design | computer applications | computer art | computer assisted learning | computer dictionaries | computer ethics | computer graphics | computer hardware suppliers | computer industry | computer music | computer news | computer performance | computer programmers | computer programming - ada | computer programming - c++ | computer programming - cobol | computer programming - forth | computer programming - fortran | computer programming - general | computer programming - java | computer programming - lisp | computer programming - modula | computer programming - mumps | computer programming - oberon | computer programming - pascal | computer programming - perl | computer programming - rexx | computer programming - special techniques | computer programming - visual basic | computer science education | computer science research | computer security | computer software suppliers | computer standards | computer system design | computer user support | computer viruses | computer vision | computing | computing links | computing research | congo democratic republic | consciousness | construction | consumer advice | consumer research | contemporary fiction | contemporary music | copyright | coral reefs | cosmology | costa rica | cote d'ivoire | country music | country sports | crafts | creative writing | cricket | crime | croatia | crops | crustaceans | cryptography | crystallography | cuba | cultural exchange | cultural research | cultural studies | currency | customs | cybernetics | cyprus | cystic fibrosis | czech republic
dance | danish | danish language | data privacy | database software | database systems | deafblindness | deafness | death | dementia | democracy | denmark | dentistry | depression | dermatology | deserts | design education | design research | desktop publishing | development studies | diabetes | dictionary | differential equations | digestive system | digital library archiving | digital library collections | digital library design | digital library management | digital library philosophy | digital library programmes | digital library research | digital library security | digital library standards | digital library use | digital video | digitisation | dinosaurs | disability | diseases | distance education | document delivery | dogs | domestic violence | dominica | dominican republic | down syndrome | drug abuse | dublin core | dutch | dyslexia
early music | earth observation | earth science education | earth science links | earth science research | earth sciences | earthquake engineering | earthquake hazard analysis | eastern europe | eastern philosophy | eating disorders | ecology | econometrics | economic development | economic geography | economic geology | economic history | economic performance | economics education | economics links | economics research | ecuador | education links | educational assessment | educational methods | educational policy | educational research | educational software | educational technology links | educational technology news | educational technology research | educational technology use | egypt | egyptian history | eighteenth century music | el salvador | elections | electrical engineering | electroacoustic music | electronic commerce | electronic data interchange | electronic journal collections | electronic journal costs | electronic journal production | electronic journal use | electronic magazines | electronic mail | electronic publishing | electronics | emergency medicine | emotional intelligence | employment | endangered species | endocrinology | energy consumption | energy research | energy technology | engineering | engineering design | engineering education | engineering industry | engineering links | engineering research | engineering societies | english | english as a second language | english drama | english language | english language dictionaries | english language dictionary | english language education | english language research | english literature | english literature - general | english literature 1801-1870 | english literature collections | english literature from 1871 | english literature to 1800 | english poetry | english travel and tourism | environment | environmental education | environmental groups | environmental health | environmental links | environmental news | environmental philosophy | environmental protection | environmental research | environmental science | environmental technology | epidemiology | epilepsy | epistemology | equatorial guinea | ergonomics | eritrea | e-science | esperanto | espionage | essay writing | estonia | ethiopia | ethnic art | ethnic literature | ethnic music | ethnography | european archaeology | european business | european history | european law | european libraries | european literature | european museums | european publishers | european travel and tourism | european union | evidence-based medicine | evolution | exporting | extraterrestrial life | eyes
| faroe islands | feminism | fiji | film music | film news | film production | film studies | financial investment | financial links | financial news | financial research | finland | finnish | first aid | first world war | fish | fisheries | flies | flowering plants | fluid mechanics | folk music | folklore | food consumption | food customs | food education | food industry | food production | food safety | food science | football | forensic science | forestry | forests | fractals | france | fraud | freedom and privacy | french | french composers | french culture | french history | french language | french language dictionaries | french literature | french travel and tourism | frogs | fungi | furniture | further education
gabon | gaelic language | gambia | gems | gender studies | genealogy | genetic engineering | genetics education | genetics links | genetics research | geographical data | geography education | geography links | geography research | geography societies | geological surveys | geology education | geology research | geology societies | geometry | geomorphology | geophysics | georgia | german composers | german language | german language dictionaries | german literature | germany | ghana | gis | glasgow | global change | global health | government links | graphic design | gravity | greece | greek history | greek language | greek literature | gregorian chant | grenada | guatemala | guinea bissau | guitars | guyana | gynaecology
haiti | harpsichords | hawaii | health care | health charities | health economics | health links | health policy | health promotion | health services | health statistics | heart | hebrew | hepatitis | heraldry | high-energy physics | higher education | higher education administration | higher education assessment | higher education courses | higher education funding | higher education news | higher education policy | higher education research data | higher education students | higher education teaching and learning | high-performance computing | himalayas | hinduism | historical data | historical geography | history education | history links | history of art | history of computing | history of mathematics | history of medicine | history of science | hiv | holocaust | homelessness | honduras | hong kong | hormones | horses | horticulture | hospitals | housing | html education | html standards | html validation | human anatomy | human genetics | human migration | human resource management | human rights | human-computer interaction | humanitarian relief | humanitarian research | humanities computing | humanities links | humanities research | hungarian | hungary | hurricanes | hydrology
iceland | imaging science | immunology | indexing | india | indonesia | industrial relations | infectious diseases | influenza | information management in business | information management in education | information management in health | information management in libraries | information retrieval | information society | information technology | insects | insurance | intellectual property | intelligent software agents | interdisciplinary studies | interior design | international booksellers | international development | international education | international law | international news | international politics | international publishers | international relations | international standards | international trade | internet based education | internet caching | internet commerce | internet culture | internet dictionaries | internet education and training | internet history | internet infrastructure | internet marketing | internet news | internet regulation - access control | internet regulation - domains | internet regulation - law | internet regulation - standards | internet resource classification | internet resource directories | internet resource discovery | internet resource evaluation | internet security | internet technology | internet usage data | internet user education | internet users | intranet development | inventions | iran | iraq | ireland | irish archaeology | irish history | irish literature | islam | israel | italian composers | italian culture | italian history | italian language | italian literature | italy
kazakhstan | kenya | key skills | keyboard instruments | kidneys | kiribati | korean | kuwait | kyrgyzstan
landscape architecture | language development | language distribution | language learning | laos | laryngology | latin | latin america | latvia | law enforcement | law links | lebanon | legal education | legal research | leisure | lesotho | liberia | librarians | library and information science education | library and information science links | library and information science news | library and information science research | library and information studies uk | library and information studies worldwide | library catalogues in england | library catalogues in ireland | library catalogues in london | library catalogues in scotland | library catalogues in wales | library catalogues worldwide | library history and culture | library information networks | library internet use | library management | library organisations | library resource sharing | library services | library suppliers | library systems | library technology | library user education | libya | liechtenstein | lifelong learning | linguistics | linux | literacy | literary studies | literature | lithuania | livestock | local government | lung cancer | lungs | luxembourg
macedonia | macintosh operating system | macintosh software | macroeconomics | madagascar | malaria | malawi | malaysia | maldives | mali | malta | mammals | management practice | management research | manufacturing | maps of asia | maps of britain | maps of england | maps of europe | maps of scotland | maps of the united states | marine biology data | marine biology education | marine biology links | marine biology news | marine biology research | marine science | marketing links | marketing news | marketing research | mars | marshall islands | marsupials | marxism | materials science | mathematical physics | mathematicians | mathematics education | mathematics links | mathematics research | mathematics societies | mathematics software | mauritania | mauritius | mechanical engineering | media studies | medical education | medical equipment | medical ethics | medical events | medical guides | medical imaging | medical libraries | medical links | medical microbiology | medical practice | medical research databases | medical research links | medical research organisations | medical research publications | medical software | medieval history | mental health improvement | mental health links | mental health news | mental health services | mental illness | metadata | metallurgy | metaphysics | meteorology | mexico | mice | microbiology | microbiology education | microbiology links | microbiology research | micronesia | microorganism genetics | middle east | migraine | military history | military operations | military research | military science | mineralogy | mining | minorities | modern art | moldova | molecular biology | molecular modelling | molluscs | monaco | mongolia | mood disorders | moon exploration | moon observation | moral philosophy | morocco | mosses and lichens | moths | mountaineering | mountains | mozambique | multimedia - general | multimedia - software | multimedia - standards | multiple sclerosis | muscular dystrophy | museum links | museum science | music | music collections | music colleges | music composition | music education | music email lists | music industry | music libraries | music links | music news | music research | music software | music theory | music therapy | musical instrument manufacture | musical instruments | musicians | musicology | myanmar | mythology
namibia | national anthems | national constitutions | national defence | national governments | national libraries | national parliaments | national standards | natural history | natural language processing | nature conservation | nauru | naval engineering | nepal | nephrology | netherlands | neural networks | neurology | neuroscience | new zealand | news | newspapers | nicaragua | niger | nigeria | nineteenth century music | nonlinear science | north american history | north korea | northern ireland | norway | norwegian | nuclear energy | nuclear physics | nuclear weapons | number theory | numerical analysis | nursing | nutrition
occupational health and safety | oceanographic data | oceanography education | oceanography links | oceanography research | office systems | oil and gas | old books | olympic games | oman | on-demand publishing | online bibliographic searching | opera | ophthalmology | optics | optimisation | orchestras | organ music | organic chemistry | organic farming | orthopaedics | otolaryngology | otology | ozone
paediatrics | pain | painting | pakistan | palaeontology | palau | palestine | panama | papua new guinea | paraguay | paranormal | parkinson's disease | particle physics | patents | pathology | pc hardware | pc software | peace and conflict | perception | percussion instruments | performing arts | peru | pest control | petroleum engineering | petrology | pharmaceutics | pharmacology | pharmacy | philippines | philosophers | philosophical logic | philosophy education | philosophy links | philosophy of mind | philosophy research | phonetics | photographs | photography | photosynthesis | physical data | physics education | physics links | physics news | physics research | physics societies | physiology | physiotherapy | piano music | pitcairn island | planetary exploration | planetary guides | planetary science | plankton | planning | plant biology | plant data | plant distribution | plant genetics | plant images | plant pathology | plants | plasma physics | pneumatics | pneumonia | poetry links | poland | polio | political history | political philosophy | political science | politics | pollution | polymers | popular music | population studies | portugal | portuguese | postage stamps | pottery | poultry | poverty | pregnancy | preservation | preventive medicine | primary care | primates | printing history | probability | product design | proteins | psychiatry education | psychiatry links | psychiatry research | psychology education | psychology links | psychology research | psychology societies | psychotherapy | public administration | public finance | public health | public libraries | public safety | publishing studies | pulsars
qatar | quality assessment | quantum physics | quotations
racism | radiation | radio astronomy | radio broadcasting | radiology | rail travel | rare books | rdf | recipes | reference | reference services | refugees | relativity | religion | religious art | religious education | religious studies | remote sensing | renaissance history | renaissance music | renewable energy | reproduction | reptiles | republic of guinea | republic of the congo | research councils | research ethics | research funding | research libraries | research methods | rhetoric | rice | road travel | robotics | rock music | roman archaeology in britain | roman history | romania | romanian | russia | russian business | russian composers | russian history | russian language | russian literature | rwanda
saint kitts nevis | saint lucia | saint vincent | samoa | san marino | sao tome and principe | satellites | saudi arabia | schizophrenia | scholarly communication | school internet use | school libraries | school teaching | schools | science and technology news | science education uk | science education usa | science education worldwide | science fiction | science links | science museums | science policy | scientific products | scientific publishers | scientific research europe | scientific research uk | scientific research worldwide | scientists | scotland | scottish archaeology | scottish culture | scottish government | scottish history | scottish law | scottish literature | scottish music | scottish poetry | scottish travel and tourism | sculpture | second world war | seismology | senegal | serbia and montenegro | serials | serials management | sexual health | sexual orientation | seychelles | sgml | sharks | sheep | shellfish | sierra leone | sign language | sikhism | simulation | sinclair spectrum | singapore | skin cancer | slavery | sleep | slovakia | slovenia | small business | smart cards | social ethics | social policy | social psychology | social science | social science links | social science publishers | social science research | social services | social welfare | social work | sociology | software | software directories | software engineering | soil science | solomon islands | somalia | south africa | south america | south american travel and tourism | south korea | space exploration | space observation | spain | spanish | special education | special libraries | spectroscopy | speech processing | spiders | sport | sql | sri lanka | staff development | stars | statistical methods | statistics education | statistics research | stock market | stress | stringed instruments | structural engineering | student magazines | study skills | subject librarianship | sudan | sun | surgery | suriname | surveying | swaziland | sweden | swedish | switzerland | syria
taiwan | tajikistan | tanzania | taoism | taxation | taxonomy | technology | technology education | technology impact | technology law | technology transfer | telecommunications | telephone directories | television | tennis | text collections | text processing | textiles | thailand | theatre guides | theatre links | theatre studies | theatres | theology | therapeutics | thermodynamics | tigers | time management | tobacco | togo | tonga | topology | tourette syndrome | toxicology | trade unions | translating dictionaries | transportation | travel and tourism | trees | trigonometry | trinidad and tobago | tropics | tsunami | tuberculosis | tunisia | turkey | turkmenistan | tuvalu | twentieth century music
uganda | uk booksellers | uk law | uk population | ukraine | united arab emirates | united kingdom | united nations | united states agriculture | united states booksellers | united states business | united states civil war | united states culture | united states economic data | united states education | united states elections | united states government | united states history - general | united states history - local | united states history from 1900 | united states history to 1900 | united states law | united states libraries | united states museums | united states natural resources | united states news | united states of america | united states political history | united states politics | united states population | united states presidency | united states travel and tourism | units of measurement | universities and colleges in england | universities and colleges in ireland | universities and colleges in london | universities and colleges in scotland | universities and colleges in wales | universities and colleges worldwide | university publishers | unix operating system | unix software | urban design | urology | uruguay | uzbekistan
vanuatu | vatican city | vegetarianism | venezuela | veterinary science | video | vietnam | vietnam war | viking archaeology | violins | virology | virtual reality | visualisation | vocal music | volcanoes | vrml
wales | walking | warfare | waste management | water management | water quality | water sports | weather | web browsers | web page design | web searching | web site development | web site management | welsh history | welsh language | western sahara | whales | wildlife | wind instruments | windows | wine | winter sports | women in history | women in music | women in science | women writers | women's issues | women's rights | women's studies | word games | world archaeology | world economic data | world history | world literature | world maps | world music | world population | world travel and tourism | worms | writing links | writing skills
xml | x-rays
yeast | yemen
z39.50 | zaire | zambia | zimbabwe |
Matt Davis, who says he works at Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, in Cambridge, UK, a Medical Research Council unit that includes a large group investigating how the brain processes language, has produced this page on the current state of reading research.
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Darwin Country (W3)
"Darwin Country" is an educational resource for lifelong learning. It will enable you to explore a wide range of topics and themes 'through space and time'. The first phase of this project was given the name 'Cradle of Science, Technology and the Better Life!'
Initially, you were able to explore the natural and human history of part of the West Midlands of England and adjacent parts of Wales (broadly centered on Shrewsbury, the County Town of Shropshire) during the 18th and 19th Centuries.
The periods of time covered have been extended as the site has been developed. You will be able to explore the links between the area and the wider world including the influence of naturalists such as "Charles Darwin" and social reformers such as Josiah Wedgwood.
The name "Darwin Country" was chosen because of the strong links with "Charles Darwin", his grandfather "Erasmus Darwin" and other members of the Darwin family. "Erasmus Darwin" of Lichfield, Staffordshire sent his son Robert to be a doctor in Shrewsbury, Shropshire in the year 1786. "Robert Darwin" married "Susannah Wedgwood" of Maer (near Stoke-on-Trent) in 1796. "Charles Darwin", their second son and the author of Origin Of Species, was born in Shrewsbury in 1809.
- #: 15 Years of the Web | 1940's House | 2006 Discovery Rewind | 5 Days of Blood, Sweat and Tears | '9/11 | 9/11, 5 Years On
- A: Abraham Lincoln | Aerial Phenomena | AH-64D | Aids, 25 Years On | Airbus A380 Tour | Alien Planet | Allianz Arena | Altamera Caves | Alternative Energy | Altitude, Effects of | American Casino | American Chopper | Amish School Shooting | Anatomy of the Brain | Anatomy of a Mummy | Anatomy of a Virus | Ancient China | Ancient Greece | Area 51 | Atlas | Atomic Bomb | Austraila | Automobiles | Avian Flu
- B: Bali Bombing | Bangkok Mega Bridge | Batairecht | Battle of Britain | Battle of Chernobyl | Bear Grylls | Ben Anderson | Beslan Massacre | Bernie Fineman | Betsy Heulskamp | Bigfoot | Bikes | Biking events | Biking Routes | Bermuda Triangle | Blogging on the Battlefield | Bloody Britain | Blood on Our Hands | BMD | Body Spectacular | Bone Detectives | Born Survivor: Bear Grylls | Brackstone, Chris | Brazil | Brazilian Jujitsu | Bridges | British Planes | British Ships | British Vehicles | Bruce Lee | Building the Future | Building the Biggest | Building the Winter Games | Burj Dubai | Bush Fires
- C: Capoeira | Cars | Cars on Screen | Chernobyl. 20 Years Later | China | Chopper Lift | Chris Brackstone | Chuck Messer | Chuck Norris | City Police Pursuit | Cleopatra | Climate Change | Colorado River Bridge | Columbine High School Massacre | Columbus | Combat Range | Combustion Engine | Comet Impact | Comics | Computer | Conspiracies and Myths | Contact the Dead | Cowboys | Coroners | Crime and Forensics | Criminologist Interview | Crab Fishing | Crab Quiz | Crash Classic | Crop Circles | Cyberpunk
- D: Dangerous Jobs | Danny Forster | Darius Viaciulis | David Starkey's Monarchy | David Tait | Da Vinci Code | Da Vinci | D-Day | Deadliest Catch | Deanne Bell | Death Zone, The | Dinosaur | Discovery Rewind 2006 | DNA | Doug Anderson | Dress Up Your Pooch | Druids | Dwarf Planet
- E: Ed Wardle | Egypt | Egyptian Enigma | Egyptian Pharoahs and Queens | Elvis Presley | Energy, Alternative | Energy, Solar | Energy, Water | Energy, Wind | Engineering | Engineering the World Rally | Engineering Through Time | Engines, Massive | Eruption | Escrima | E-SMAW | Estonia, Sinking of | Everest | Extreme Earth | Extreme Engineering | Extreme Skyscraper
- F: F-22 | Face Transplant | Falklands: How Close to Defeat? | F.B.I. | Ferrari | Fight Quest | Finding the Fallen | Fisherman | Flight | Flight Pioneers | Flooding | Foo Fighters | Ford Cars | Ford, Henry | Forensic Scientists | Forensics | Formula One Challenge | Fred Ziel | Freedom of the Seas | Freemasons | FutureWeapons
- G: Garage, The | Genius Sperm Bank | Ghost Hunting | Global Medics | Global Warming | Goldminer | Gods and Heroes | Gotthard Base Tunnel | Grant, Dr Laura | Greatest Ever | Greco-Roman Wrestling | Greg Child | Grizzly Man
- H: Hapkido | Harland & Wolff Shipyard | Harley Davidson | Hauntings | Hatshepsut | Helios Flight ZU522 | Heroes & Villains | Hess, Rudolf | History of Explosives | History of Flight | History of Motorbikes | History of Sex and Love | History of Technology | History of Videogames | History of WW2 | Holocaust | How Do They Do It? | Human Body | Human Files | Hurricanes
- I: Iceburgs | IMS | India | Industrial Revelations | Internet | Internet, 15 Years On | Italy | I, Videogame
- J: Jackie Chan | Jeet Kune Do | Jet Li | Jet Planes | Jimmy Smith | John Lennon | Jordan: The Royal Tour | Judo | Jujitsu | Jungle Ranger
- K: Kalaripayattu | Karate | Katsusuke Yanagisawa | Kendo | Kevin Cook | Kew Palm House | Killing the Cocaine King | Kitchen Chemistry | Kombai, The | Krakatau | Kursk, The
- L: LA Ink | Lance Armstrong | Laser | Last Days | Laura Grant, Dr | Leeds Castle | Leepu Awlia | Lemur Street | Light Bulb | Little Experiments | Living With Tigers | Loch Ness | Logger
- M: M30 Madrid Project | M32 | Machines and Engineering | Maclaren Technology Centre | Marfa Lights | Marilyn Monroe | Martial Arts | Massacre in Madrid | Massive Engines | Medical Technology | Mek, The | Men In Black | Meerkat Manor | Mermaids | Mexico | Microchip | Military Aircrafts | Mk110 | Mogens Jensen | Mongrel Nation | Monica Piris Chavarri | Moscow Siege | Motorbikes | Mountain Science | Mount St. Helens | Mount Tambora | Mount Tambora. Buried Village Uncovered | MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) | Muay Thai | MULE | Mummification | Mummy, Anatomy of a | Mystery of Helios 522 | Mystery of the Red Queen | Mythbusters | Mythbusters Video Game | Myths, Egyptian | Myths, Native American | Myths, Shark | My Shocking Story
- N: Native American Myths | Neanderthal Genome Project | Nefertiti | New World Order | Nick Blair | NLOS-C | Nostradamus | Nuclear Weapons
- O: Obesity Pandemic | Oil, Sweat & Rigs | Oklahoma City Bombing | Olympic Games | On the Rails | On the Run | One Step Beyond | Operation Barbarossa | Orangutan Island
- P: Pankration | Paul Britton | Pearl Harbour | Pencak Silat | Peter Worthers, Dr | Pharaohs and Queens | Pioneers of Flight | Planes | Planes, American | Planes, British | Planes, Jet | Planets | Pluto | Pontianak | Pope John Paul I | Population | Protector | Psychic and Paranormal | Psychology of Speed | Puertasaurus reuili | Pyramids, Egyptian | Pyramids, Mystery of
- Q: Queen Mary 2
- R: Race 2 Replace | Racing Dynasties | Reich Underground | Real Superhumans | Reproduction, Human | Reproduction, Shark | Rob Barber | Robert Maxwell | Robin Hood | Robots | Rodeo World | Rogues Gallery | Rogue Predators | Rolls Royce | Rome | Rudolf Hess | Russell Brice
- S: Saddam Hussein, Capture of | Sars Global Killer | Savate | Scary Movies | Science Fiction in the Cinema | Science Fiction on TV | Science Fiction, Origins of | Science of Prediction | Science of Star Wars | Sci-Fi Zone | Scotty Moore | Scramjet Engine | Serial Killers | Sex and Love, History of | Shaolin Chuan | Shark Attack Map | Shark Myths | Sharks | Shark Week | Ships | Ships, British | Skyscraper, Extreme | Smart Materials | Smash Lab | Solar Energy | Southern Chopper | SOS pledge | South Africa | Space | Speed Week | Sphinxes | Spitfire Ace | Spitfire | St Paul's Cathedral | Stars | Steam Engine | Steel | Steve Irwin | Storm Chasers | Super Comet | Survival Zone | Synthetic Materials
- T: Taekwondo | Tai Chi Chuan | Tatsu | Technology | Telephone | Ten Ways... | Three Gorges Dam | Time Team | Tim Medvetz | Timothy Treadwell | Titanic | Top 10 Ways to Contact the Dead | Touring Bikes | Transport Networks | True Horror |
| Tungurahua | Tunnel Trial | Tunnels | Tutankhamun | Tutankhamun, Assassination of
- U: UFOs | Ultrasound | Ultimates | Unearthed | Universe | Unsolved History | Urban Myths
- V: V-22 | Vampires, Female | Vancouver's Artificial Reefs | Vehicles | Video | Videogames | Virtual Dive to the Titanic | Virtual History | Virus, Anatomy of a | Volcano | Vroom
- W: Warrior Women | Water Engineering | Water Power | We Built This City | What Are They Doing? | Whirlpools | Whiz Kids Quiz | Why Do Killers Kill? | Wind Power | Wing Chun Chuan | World Population | World's Lost Tribes | World's Strangest UFO Stories | World's Toughest Jobs | World's Toughest Tribes | Worst Jobs in History | Worthers, Dr Peter | Wreck Detectives | Wright Brothers | WW2
- X: XM307 | X-Rays
- Y: Year Without Summer | Yip Man
dumb, dumm, tumb, stumm, stammeln (W3)
Im engl. "dumb" = "stumm" ist noch die ursprüngliche Bedeutung von "dumm" zu erkennen. Umgangssprachlich wird engl. "dumb"mittlerweile auch im Sinne von "blöd" verwendet.
Es entstand aus "stumm", weil man annahm, dass stumme oder sogar taubstumme Menschen zwangsläufig auch "dumm" sein müssen - und man sich wohl in früheren Zeiten auch nicht die Mühe gab, den Betroffenen zu helfen.
Das Wort "stumm", ahd. "stum" = " gehemmt" hängt seinerseits, wie "stammeln" mit "stemmen" = "hemmen" zusammen.
"Dumm" geht zurück auf das mhd. "tump" bzw. ahd. "tumb" = "verdunkelt", "mit stumpfen Sinnen"; und dieses ursprünglich auf "stumm".
Das engl. "excerebrose" = "geistlos", "hirnlos" geht zurück auf lat. "ex-" = "aus" und "cerebrum" = "Gehirn".
Engl. "Misosophy" = dt. "Hass der Weisheit" setzt sich zusammen aus griech. "misos" = dt. "Feindschaft", "Hass", "Verachtung" und griech. "sophía" = "Weisheit".
science, *skei-, *skin, *skiyen, *skeid, *skeit (W3)
Das engl. "science" = "Wissenschaft" = "Unterscheidungsvermögen" ist Teil einer großen Wortfamilie.
Ausgehend von einem ide. "*skei-", "*skin", "*skiyen", "*skeid", "*skeit" = "schneiden", "spalten" hat sie sich in viele vornehme und weniger vornehme Zweige aufgespalten.
Mit zur großen Verwandtschaft gehören:
- "blatherskite" = "Quatschkopf" ("Quatsch-Abscheider"), from Old Norse skta, to defecate;
- "chine" = "Rückgrat", "Kreuz"
- "conscience" = "Gewissen"
- "conscious" = "Bewußtsein"
- frz. "écu", von lat. "scutum" = "Schild"
- span. "escudo" = "Wappenschild" (lat. "scutum" = "Schild")
- "escutcheon" = "Schild", "Abdeckung"
- "esquire" = "Edelmann" von lat. "scutarius" = "Schilderer", "Schildträger"
- "exscind" = "exzidieren", "herausschneiden"
- "knife" = "Messer"
- "nescience" = "Unwissenheit"
- "nice" = "schön"
- "omniscient" = "allwissend"
- "plebiscite" = "Plebiszit", "Volksentscheid"
- "prescient" = "vorherwissend", from Latin scre, to know ("to separate one thing from another", "discern")
- "prescind" = "absondern"
- "rescind" = "von einem Vertrag zurücktreten", from Latin scindere, to split.
- "scan" = "genau prüfen"
- dt. "Schere" (die "Trennschere" ist ein weißer Schimmel")
- dt. "Schiefer"
- "schism" = "Schisma" = "(Kirchen-)Spaltung"
- "schist" = "Schiefer"
- "shiver" = "zittern", "Splitter", "zersplittern"
- griech. "schizo-" = "gespalten", (griech. "skhizein")
- dt. "schizophren" = "gespaltener Geist" (griech. "phren" = "Geist", "Gemüt")
- "scilicet" = "nämlich" von lat. "scilicet" = "man höre!" aus "scire licet" = "man darf wissen"
- "sciolism" = "Halbwissen"
- frz. "scission", ital. "scissione" = "Spaltung"
- ital. "scudo" = "Schild"
- lat. "scutum" = "Langschild"
- "sheath" = "Scheide", from Old English scath, sheath ("split stick"), perhaps from Germanic *skaith-;
- "sheave" = "Scheibe", from Middle English sheve, pulley ("piece of wood with grooves");
- "shed" = "verschütten", "Schuppen" from Old English scadan, to separate, from Germanic *skaith-, *skaidan;
- "shin" = "Schienbein", ("shinbone")
- "shit" = "Scheiße"
- "shiver" = "Splitter", from Middle English "shivere", "scivre", "splinter" (possibly from a Low German source akin to Middle Low German "schever", "splinter")
- "shyster" = "Winkeladvokat", "Gauner", from Old High German "skzzan", "to defecate"
- dt. "skandieren" von lat. "scandere" = "emporsteigen"
- dt. "Skat" (Kartenspiel) von ital. "scarto" = "Wegwerfen" (der Karten), "die abgelegten Karten"
- "skate" = "Schlittschuh"
- "ski" = "Schi", from Old Norse "skdh", "log", "stick", "snowshoe", from Germanic "*skdam"
- "skive" = "spalten", from a Scandinavian source akin to Old Norse "skfa", "to slice", "split"
- "squire" = "Landjunker", "Gutsherr", früher "Schildknappe", from Latin "sctum", "shield" ("board").
- ETYMOLOGY: Middle English chiveren, shiveren.
- ETYMOLOGY: Middle English shiveren, from shivere, splinter. See skei- in Appendix I.
shiver (n.) | shiver (v.)
In der Seefahrt gibt es ein "shivering", das einen "mittleren flatternden Zustand" der Segel bezeichnet.
shiver1 | shiver2 | shivery1 | shivery2
shiver (vb, n) = "tremble" = "zittern".
Ice kippa (to pull, snatch, quiver compulsively), Swe kippa (to snatch, to twitch). Compare the Ice use of k in words such as kona (= E queen) where the relationship of kippa to quiver becomes clear.
Wissen ist Mach (W3)
"Wissen ist Macht", lautet die bekannte Erkenntnis Francis Bacons. Seit den Tagen des englischen Philosophen und Staatsmannes hat die Menschheit einen bedeutenden Wissenszuwachs verzeichnet.
Bücher zur Kategorie:
Etymologie, Etimología, Étymologie, Etimologia, Etymology
UK Vereinigtes Königreich Großbritannien und Nordirland, Reino Unido de Gran Bretaña e Irlanda del Norte, Royaume-Uni de Grande-Bretagne et d'Irlande du Nord, Regno Unito di Gran Bretagna e Irlanda del Nord, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Wissen / Wissenschaft, Conocimientos / Ciencia, Savoir / Science, Conoscenza / Scienza, Knowledge / Science
A short Story of Private Life
Gebundene Ausgabe: 544 Seiten
Verlag: Doubleday (27. Mai 2010)
Nachdem er mit liebevoll-kritischen und unglaublich amüsant geschriebenen Betrachtungen über seine beiden Heimatländer, die USA und England, bekannt wurde, stürzte sich Bill Bryson sowohl auf andere Ländern als auch anderen Themengebiete. Ähnlich wie in "A Short History of Nearly Everything" widmet sich Bryson hier wieder dem Allgemeinwissen: den Dingen des alltäglichen Lebens und wie sie geworden sind, was sie sind. Von keinem lassen wir uns lieber die Welt erklären!
Über den Autor
Bill Bryson, geb. 1951 in Des Moines, Iowa, zog 1977 nach Großbritannien und schrieb dort mehrere Jahre u. a. für die 'Times' und den 'Independent'. Mit seinem Englandbuch 'Reif für die Insel' gelang Bryson der Durchbruch, und heute ist er in England einer der erfolgreichsten Sachbuchautoren der Gegenwart. Seine Bücher werden in viele Sprachen übersetzt, stürmen stets die internationalen Bestsellerlisten. 1996 kehrte Bill Bryson mit seiner Familie in die USA zurück, wo es ihn jedoch nicht lange hielt; er war wieder 'reif für die Insel', wo er heute wieder lebt.
England: 1000 Things You Need to Know
Taschenbuch: 464 Seiten
Verlag: Atlantic Books (1. Juni 2008)
This essential and timely guide to all things England and English, which has sold 34,000 hardback copies to date, is now available in paperback.Despite a thousand years of glorious history, the people of England know surprisingly little about the facts and fables, people and places and events and emblems that have shaped their country and its heritage.Where did John Bull come from? What is the Long Man of Wilmington? Who abolished Christmas? When did roast beef become a national dish?From the White Cliffs of Dover to MG Rover, from Newcastle Brown Ale to Royal Mail, and from John Milton to blue stilton, Nicholas Hobbes explains and celebrates every aspect of Englishness for a modern audience. The result is as entertaining as it is essential.